Monday, June 30, 2014

Last Week in June

June 24-27
Tuesday: Tuesday was my first day back at work, and it was so nice to finally get in the groove at the office! Everyone was so nice, asking how I was doing and about the overall experience, but I was just glad to be given some more responsibility, considering I'd spent about a week in bed! After sitting in on my first content meeting in a few weeks, I got back into ExactTarget and started plugging through a list of email responsibilities Greg had lined up for me (which I was quite thankful for). I also did a little work with the Membership department, which was cool. I learned how to do some work with a program called 24Watch, which they usually have to do for the Marketing department. It felt good to learn something new and be given more responsibility, after being out for so long. Overall, it was a really great first day back, but I was more than exhausted when I got home! Needless to say, I didn't do much between getting home and going to bed... but hey? That's what a good day of work looks like, right? 

Wednesday: Hump day was a BIG email day. We have these big Protection Tour events coming up in a few different cities, and Greg and I have been working together to craft the email template for a few weeks. We had a lot of design tweaks that needed to be done, and though they're not that difficult, the ExactTarget system requires some tedious work. It's constantly logging itself out, ignoring my coding changes, overriding certain instructions I add and honestly doing whatever it can to make me work for longer (not to mention piss me off...)! But, the feeling of accomplishment when I'm able to finish and send out an email is totally worth all the frustration. Believe it or not, those emails took up the majority of my work day - though, our room of interns did get distracted by Pinterest boards by the last half hour of the work day... what can I say? We're a small room of 4 girls... when one starts talking, we have a hard time focusing again.

Thursday: Thursday was also prepped to be an email day, but hey, sometimes it turns out to be a little more fun than expected! We did work in the morning, but Thursday was, if you recall, the USMNT game, and it happened to be at noon (thanks FIFA). A bunch of people from the office went down a few blocks to the Tin Roof, which is this music bar that's pretty popular downtown. It was full of people in their skirts and suits, getting away from work to support their country. Patriotism is a beautiful thing. The food was really good, though I am biased... It was the most flavorful thing I'd eaten since I'd had surgery, but even so, I'll probably head back there for another sandwich this summer. The game was pretty exciting, and even though we lost, it was a fun bonding experience with coworkers. Sentences like that make me feel really old. Anyway, after a nice two hour lunch break, we came back to a surprise at the office. The server had completely shut down. No phones, no internet - we couldn't even log into our computers. After a half hour of chatting and waiting for the word from the IT guys, we got out early! I call that a pretty nice day, though I knew I'd pay for those hours on Friday.

Friday: The last day of this week was brutal. I definitely paid for those hours on Thursday. Greg was out, but I had three big email projects to work on that all had deadlines. I'm happy to say I got everything out to subscribers by 5pm, but I was exhausted by that time. I had to wait for Mrs. L for a little bit, so I sat backed and watched some Hulu at work after everyone left. It was a good way to unwind. The week was great, and I was so happy to be back, but man was I excited for a break! 

Thanks for reading! You guys are super cool if you made it this far (especially since there aren't any pictures!). 

#IndyAdventures2014
-SBL 

No comments:

Post a Comment